Saturday 12 March 2011

Connections to Billy Pilgrim by Marie Price

Greetings from Japan!


The let lag is starting to get to me so I've decided to blog rather than wake everyone up by showering. I'm drinking 100% milk while I write it, and wow, it is delicious! Getting on topic, visiting Japan has provided me new, unique way to experience Slaughterhouse-Five. On the flight here, I lost a day and returning I will gain it back, it is definitely a strange feeling, let alone trying to talk to family and friends back home at a reasonable time, as Japan is 14 hours ahead of Windsor's time zone. Perhaps it is a similar feeling to what Billy Pilgrim experienced! More importantly however, with the recent earthquakes, the messages of Slaughterhouse-Five hold even more importance. When the strongest earthquake hit, my mother, my two younger cousins and I were on the subway platform waiting for a transfer, after visiting the National historical museum. I'm lucky to not have been on the train or at my relative's, as both places would have been much more dangerous. Similar to Billy waiting to be shot by the sniper, while everything shook I stood there with a very blank expression. Tokyo tower rocked like a pendulum. It was nauseating. Then with all the deaths due to the earthquake and following tsunamis, I'm ever more grateful I wasn't father north. Anyways, I feel like one very lucky Billy today, so perhaps I'll be lucky again so that the trains will open so I can continue my journey to Kyoto. Oh by the way, I'm perfectly fine and safe.


There's so many more connections to Slaughterhouse I just can't mention all of them! I'll blog again soon, and actually do a writing assignment... in the meanwhile, I'm going to make more rice.


Have a great march break everyone!


Marie

2 comments:

  1. lol, surprised you even have time to blog while you're in japan xD
    but i'm so glad you're safe, have lots of fun in homeland my baka-sama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie, we are all very glad that you are safe.

    Anyways, I do agree with you and your connections between your own experiences and those of Billy Pilgrim's. It makes you wonder what it feels like to go through a time warp. Does it feel like an earthquake? or more like a pulse of energy? who's to say, I guess. I will say though that your writing is excellent, keep on going!
    -Anna Yed

    ReplyDelete