Friday 4 March 2011

Fate vs. Free Will by Marié

If Fate is an already set series of events, that is completely unalterable, I do not believe in it. However, I do not completely believe in free will entirely either, because as there is much chaos there is some order in the world. I like to think that the relationship between Fate and Free Will is magnetic. When a person is born, the place into which they entered will somewhat define how they will live their life, and thus the person they become. A child born to well-to-do parents will most likely be "fated" differently to one born to a single mother, with an income below the poverty line. Free will can change the course of someone's life, such as winning a lottery ticket, but the condition of their life will have a "magnetic" tendency to return to how their social position has defined them to be. Aldous Huxley seemed to have argue that Fate can be artificially produced in his utopian society in Brave New World. Babies were genetically programmed and conditioned to meet their determined purpose in life, and nothing else. However, I wonder if someone's free will can be a result of fate, and that the two are intertwined in such a way they work as one to give the illusion of free will to us mortals, who are truly, on a one way ride.


The more and more I think about it, I am increasingly torn between the two. I'll settle at a happy medium.

2 comments:

  1. Marie, I find it very interesting that you said that people's fate does somewhat depend on when and how a person is born. I do agree with that, to a certain extent, as you might as well. But do you believe that even though a person may be born into a not-so-opportunistic life that they can still do as well, if not better, than a person that is born into a wealthy family with lots of opportunity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, sorry I think I wasn't clear enough on this post, I didn't want to make life seem like a caste-system. I'm still pretty confused about the whole thing, but I just wanted to make a point that some circumstances are more difficult than others, and this must influence a person somewhat. Maybe even in a positive way, for example, a hard working orphan grows up to be a successful business man.

    ReplyDelete